Peter Drucker: “Efficiency is doing things right, EFFECTIVENESS Is doing the right things.”
God wants us effective! We aren’t to waste any more time rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. The devil wants to distract and diffuse our effectiveness by having to do things which are in the end ineffective and counterproductive, and eventually without vision or hope. Energy is dissipated, power is lost.
KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING!
A great question to ask of ALL we are doing; “Would we begin this today if we were not already doing it?”
Get off the Dead Horse!
Wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, I recall hearing John Maxwell say we often try other strategies…
* Buying a stronger whip
* Changing riders
* Saying “this is the way we’ve always ridden this horse.”
* Appointing a committee to study the horse
* Changing the by-laws to specify that “horses shall not die”
* Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed
* Declaring loudly that “no horse is too dead to ride”
* Providing additional funding to increase the horse’s performance
* Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position
Don’t flog that dead horse, jump off!